When you work in a different city with a travel nursing agency, away from home and family, the holidays may make you feel a little homesick. However, just because you’re not able to be with your loved ones doesn’t mean that you can’t celebrate the holidays in your own way!
Traveling for a nursing job can be demanding, but the holidays should always remain special no matter where you are. Today, we’ll share some tips on making the holidays extra special while on assignment as a travel nurse—so keep reading if you want to learn how to make this one memorable. Remember, our supportive recruiters are just a phone call away, so reach out to our team at AHS NurseStat any time.
Put Up Simple and Cheerful Holiday Decorations
There’s no better way to embrace the holiday spirit than adorning your living space with festive decorations. Even if you’re living in temporary housing, it’s easy to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere with a few simple and inexpensive decor ideas.
- DIY Paper Snowflakes: These can be made simply with white paper and scissors. Hang them around your living space for a wintry vibe.
- Fairy Lights: These are inexpensive and can create a warm and cozy atmosphere. Drape them across your windows or around your bed frame.
- Miniature Christmas Tree: A small tabletop Christmas tree is perfect for a temporary living situation. Decorate it with some small ornaments and tinsel.
- Holiday Throw Pillows and Blankets: These can easily be found at discount stores and can add a festive touch to your living room.
- Window Clings: These are easy to apply and remove, and can make your windows look festive.
Organize a Gift Exchange or Potluck Dinner with Coworkers
As a nurse on placement with a travel nursing agency, it can be difficult to feel connected to others during the holiday season. That’s why it’s important to find ways to connect with your fellow nurses and staff members, especially those who may also be away from home.
One great way to do this is to organize a gift exchange or potluck dinner party. With a little planning, you can create a festive and fun atmosphere that brings everyone together. Not only will you get to enjoy some delicious food and exchange gifts, but you’ll also be able to form lasting connections with those around you.
Find Local Celebrations and Events to Attend
Being away from home over the holidays doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the fun and excitement. In fact, it presents the perfect opportunity to explore new places and enjoy new experiences. Review local community calendars, check social media event pages, or ask your coworkers to discover potential activities. Whether it’s a festive musical concert featuring renowned artists, or an enchanting outdoor festival filled with dazzling lights and delicious treats, attending these local events is a great way to immerse yourself in the magic of the season.
Step outside your comfort zone and embrace the festive spirit in your new environment. Find out what holiday events are happening in your area!
Connect Virtually with Friends and Family
The holiday season is a time to connect with loved ones, but what happens when you are hundreds of miles away working for a travel nursing agency? Thankfully, technology has made it possible to bridge the distance through virtual video chats like Zoom and FaceTime.
And why not take it up a notch and host a virtual party playing online games like Jackbox together? It’s a great way to bond and celebrate the season without physically being together. Don’t let distance keep you from sharing the holiday spirit with those you cherish most. Connect virtually and make magical memories that will last a lifetime.
Practice Self-Care by Creating a Mini Holiday Staycation
Balancing the demands of travel nurse work with personal time over the holidays is extra important when you are feeling homesick. After all, self-care is not a luxury, but a necessity, particularly in a high-stress profession like travel nursing. Consider setting aside time daily for activities you enjoy, be it reading a book, practicing yoga, or simply taking a long, relaxing bath. This scheduled “me” time can serve as a potent stress reliever, allowing you to unwind and rejuvenate.
For a change of routine, you could even create a mini holiday staycation for yourself. Here are some ideas:
- Stock Up On Your Favorite Foods and Drinks: Prior to your staycation, restock your pantry and fridge with your favorite food and drinks. You can also treat yourself to some special holiday-themed snacks and beverages.
- Prep a Lineup of Your Favorite Holiday Movies: Nothing says holiday like curling up with a good movie. Make a list of your all-time favorite holiday films and have them ready to watch. From classics like “It’s a Wonderful Life” to fun-filled animations like “The Polar Express”, there’s no shortage of films to get you in the spirit.
- Create a Holiday Music Playlist: Music has a way of setting the mood. Create a playlist of classic holiday songs that you can listen to while building a puzzle, taking a bath, or just lounging around.
- Treat Yourself to Cozy New Pajamas, Slippers, or a Fluffy Blanket: Comfort is key during a staycation. Indulge in some new loungewear or a cozy blanket to make your rest time extra snug and warm.
- Gather Supplies for a Mini Spa Pampering at Home: Your staycation should be about self-care and relaxation. Gather your favorite face masks, bath bombs, lotions, and other pampering essentials for your home spa experience.
- Make Sure You Have Your Favorite Scented Candles: Candles can create a serene and tranquil environment. Choose your favorite scents to fill your space and enhance the holiday ambiance. Aromas like cinnamon, pine, or vanilla can bring the holiday spirit right into your home.
A Travel Nursing Agency That is Here for You – AHS NurseStat
At AHS NurseStat, we understand the unique challenges and experiences of being a travel nurse, especially during the festive season. We are more than just a travel nursing agency; we are a family committed to providing you with the support, care, and understanding you need while you are away from home.
Our dedicated team is always here to help you navigate through your journey, ensuring that you feel connected and part of our extended AHS family. Get in touch with us today!